Creative Box Studios
Acrylic Painting and Collage - Cacti Series with Anna Swanson
Learn the basics of drawing, acrylic painting, color mixing, and collage. During this course, you will create a colorful & floral cactus garden piece with artist Anna Swanson.
Materials will be shipped to you.
4-week course (8 hours of instruction)
- February 6 - February 27, every Saturday
- 10AM CT to 12PM CT
Over this 4-week course we will:
- Experiment with pencil and paper to sketch your design
- Learn about different cactus plants, birds and flowers you can draw/paint
- Focus on drawing, planning, and choosing a color palette
- Learn different brush use techniques and skills
- Mix acrylic paint to create bold and colorful hues
- Leave class with a finished 16x 20" painting
- Four sessions of 2-hour instruction, demo, and practice
- Limited class size for hands-on instruction
- All materials you will need during class, including paints, brushes, paper, canvas, and more
- Optional projects to work on at home to continue your practice in-between the times we meet
Who is this course suitable for?
Individuals who have little or no prior painting experience or individuals who would like to relearn intro skills.
Discussion: Composition and balance, Types of cactus plants
Instruction: Intro to composition, balance, drawing, and sketching of cactus and flowers
Project: Sketch out the cactus design, flowers, and blooms on paper with
Discussion: Intro to design principles and how to determine your design
Instruction: Demonstration of drawing and sketching of cactus and flowers on canvas
Project: Draw out design on big canvas adding detail and background color.
Discussion: Color planning and mixing
Instruction: Create palettes on paper with paints
Project: Begin adding first layer of paint to the canvas
Discussion: Final tips and techniques, Details and layers
Instruction: Adding more layers, light and dark details, background color, and finishing details
Project: Guided instruction through final 16x20" painting on canvas
Included in your art box:
- 9 premium acrylic paints - Titanium white, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, Quinacridone Magenta, Turquoise, Yellow Ochre, Fluorescent Pink + Black
- 3 premium paint brushes - Medium Round, Medium Bright + Small Bright
- 8x10" canvas
- 16x20” canvas for final project
- Mixed media paper
- Paint palette to color mix
- Palette paper to color mix
About the Instructor:
Anna Swanson is a painter, elementary school art teacher, and mom. She received her BFA in fiber art & textiles and obtained her elementary art teacher certification. She is a stylist at heart and loves teaching children's art in her art studio with her daughter, whom her business is named after. A small collection of her original pieces are at Austin Art Garage and Gallery and prints of her work are on Minted.com and Greenbox Art and Culture.