Creative Box Studios
DRAWING: Anatomy and Portraiture with Ella Nilsson
In this Anatomy and Portraiture 4-week course, Ella will help you improve your portrait drawing skills. Throughout this course, you will learn the parts of the skull, the major muscles of the face, and the proportions of facial features, building your own anatomy reference guide. Using these tools and working step by step, you will render a finished portrait in front view.
Materials will be shipped to you.
4-week course (8 hours of instruction)
- March 20 - April 10, every Saturday
- 10AM CT to 12PM CT
Over this 4-week course we will learn:
- The ins and outs of the supplies and materials you will be using
- The parts of the skull
- The major muscles of the face
- The proportions of facial features
- How to build your own anatomy reference guide
- How to create highlights in your drawings with eraser & white pencil/pen
- How to create depth in your drawings with shadowing and other techniques
- Leave this class with a finished drawn portrait in front view and the knowledge to continue growing in your drawing practice!
- Four sessions of 2-hour instruction, demo, and practice
- Limited class size for hands-on instruction
- All materials you will need during class, including paper, pencils, pens, eraser, sharpener and more.
- Optional projects to work on at home to continue your practice in-between the times we meet
Who is this course suitable for?
Suitable for intermediate to advanced levels, but all levels are welcome.
We will learn how to draw a skull and the different bones that comprise the facial features.
Using the skull drawing from week 1, we will learn the major muscles of the face and how they contribute to expression, drawing your own reference. We will then overlay the muscles and begin drawing proportions of the face.
We will complete our proportions reference drawing. We will begin plotting out the features in our portraiture, discussing features as we progress.
We will continue working on and complete our portrait drawing this week.
Materials included in your creative box:
- B pencil
- 6B pencil
- White pencil
- White gel pen
- Red Micron pen
- Kneaded eraser
- Toned gray paper pad
- Tracing paper
- Reference image
Ella Nilsson is an artist based in Austin, TX. She has a BA in Fine Art, and a BS in Criminal Justice/Pre-Law, mostly so she can fact-check Law & Order episodes. Ella is known for working in series to help her set parameters and structure to concentrate on and fully explore a concept. She is currently working on three series about exploring contrast in faces and figures. When Ella is not working on artwork, she enjoys home improvement projects, traveling with her husband, competing in her skee-ball league, laughing, making others laugh, and cats.